Monday, November 24, 2014 - Loading…

Published: Thursday, 3/7/2013

Springfield Township fire ruled accidental

BLADE STAFF

The Springfield Township fire that displaced a family of 10 and damaged their home earlier this week has been ruled accidental, township fire authorities said.

The blaze at 7140 Dorr St. started from flames in the chimney, with no foul play involved, according to Fire Chief Barry Cousino. The fire caused an estimated $150,000 damage to the house and about $80,000 worth of damage to its contents, Chief Cousino said.

The fire was reported about 9:10 p.m. Tuesday. Springfield Township firefighters arriving at the two-story wood-frame house reported heavy fire in the attic. The fire was under control about an hour later.

No one was injured, and a vehicle was removed safely from the garage, authorities said. Firefighters called on the American Red Cross to help two adults and eight children.

The homeowner is Stacia Deraedt of that address, according to Lucas County auditor's records.

The Sylvania Township Fire Department assisted at the fire, and Monclova Township firefighters filled in at a Springfield Township fire station.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories