Thursday, October 27, 2016 - Loading…

Published: Tuesday, 11/12/2013 - Updated: 2 years ago

Police continuing investigation of Toledo man arrested at Northview

Lambert. Lambert.

Police are still investigating an incident at Northview High School where a Toledo man was tased and a police officer injured.

Sylvania Police Capt. Rick Schnoor said today the department is still gathering statements from two of the three officers on the scene when Toledo resident Charles Lambert, 48, was arrested at 4:50 p.m. Monday at Northview for aggravated trespass, disorderly conduct, safe schools act, resisting arrest, and assault.

According to police, Mr. Lambert had been escorted off Southview High School property last week. At that time he was inquiring about a wrestling program. Staff notified police of the incident. Captain Schnoor said Mr. Lambert does not have any children attending Sylvania schools. No weapons were found on the suspect, nor did he make any threats.

On Monday at approximately 4:30 p.m., Mr. Lambert arrived at the Sylvania police station notifying dispatchers that he intended to visit Northview to inquire about a wrestling coach. Dispatch workers called an officer to speak to him in the office lobby. However, Captain Schnoor said Mr. Lambert was elusive, and declined to speak to police.

“He asked if he was arrested and quickly left the station,” he said. Knowing that Mr. Lambert had been escorted off school property before, three officers followed him to Northview High School.

Unclear on where he would enter the building, each officer entered the school at different points. One officer found Mr. Lambert in the school office area, near the entrance. Police reported Mr. Lambert roamed through the halls and classrooms. Captain Schnoor said officers asked him about his intention on school property, or if he needed help. Mr. Lambert ignored the questions, he said.

Students were still on school property because of sports and other after-school activities. When officers tried to stop Mr. Lambert, he “actively resisted” and began to scream and yell. A struggle ensued, in which one officer’s fingers were broken, police said.

During the struggle, Mr. Lambert was tased. Because police suspected Mr. Lambert may be emotionally unstable, an ambulance was called to the scene prior to the struggle. Captain Schnoor said police are trained in crisis intervention to appropriately react to situations involving mentally unstable or emotional people. 

Mr. Lambert and the injured officer were taken to Flower Hospital. No one was seriously injured, Captain Schnoor said.

At 7:17 p.m. Mr. Lambert was released and taken to Lucas County Jail.

In a statement released to parents Monday night, principal Steve Swaggerty alerted parents of the incident. As a precautionary measure, students were directed to stay in secured areas, he said.

Contact Natalie Trusso Cafarello at: 419-206-0356, or, or on Twitter @natalietrusso.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories